Multiplatform OpenOffice.org 3.0 Benchmark
It's time for an OpenOffice.org benchmark rematch. Go-oo has been proudly boasting it is "Better, Faster, Freer," but last time when we tested OpenOffice.org 2.4, Go-oo came in fourth place out of four. Since then Go-oo developers addressed some problems, and now we're checking a new version 3.0 and adding benchmarks on Windows.
The following editions were tested. The abbreviated code identifies each edition in the charts.
* Ubu Go-oo: Universal Linux build of Go-oo 3.0.0 on Ubuntu.
* Ubu PPA: OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 on Ubuntu. Ubuntu 8.10 normally comes with OpenOffice.org 2.4, so this is the version from the popular OpenOffice.org PPA. Like the OpenOffice.org edition that ships with Ubuntu, PPA is based on Go-oo.
* Ubu StarOffice: StarOffice 9 on Ubuntu with Java JRE 1.6.
* Ubu Vanilla: Vanilla OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 on Ubuntu. Vanilla means it is the unmodified version available from www.openoffice.org.
* Win Vanilla: Vanilla OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 on Windows without a Java JRE.
* Win Portable: Portable OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 on Windows modifies the vanilla edition with executable compression, by removing some files, and by making other changes.
* Win StarOffice: StarOffice 9 on Windows with Java JRE 1.6.