tectonic: Tired of the regulation grey bars at the top and bottom of your Gnome desktop and hankering after something a little cooler? Say something a little bit more like the dock in Apple's OSX? Then give AWN a run and get all the bouncing icons you can handle.
- Emulate Google’s Android Mobile Stack in Linux
- Printing from Firefox on Gentoo
- Fix for Master password expose for Pidgin
- Two Finger Scrolling on Ubuntu
- Setting up openSUSE in VMware Workstation
- Installing Ubuntu to a USB hard drive
blog.wired.com: One of the first questions from those who switch operating systems is usually — how can I make it more familiar? Typically this boils down to how can I make program X on my new system behave more like Program Y on the old system that I was used too?
Carla Schroder: Last week we looked at Ubuntu Server's documentation, discussed hardware requirements, tried to figure out what sets Ubuntu Server apart from Ubuntu Desktop. We're taking such a deep dive into the very bowels of Ubuntu Server that this is expanding into a three-parter, so hold on to your hats and enjoy the ride.
- Burning CD and DVD ISO images with cdrecord
- How-to Enable Anti-Aliasing in Quake Wars Linux
- Check the bash shell script is being run by root or not
- Using the AutoFilter: A useful if slightly twitchy tool
- Create an OpenOffice.org extension the easy way with BasicAddonBuilder
- Fix for Limewire blank beryl problem
- How can I configure winbind to synchronize user and group IDs across multiple Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts on Active Directory accounts?
FOSSwire: If you are using GNOME and a distribution that supports either sudo or su, then we have a quick tip for you.
freesoftwaremagazine.com: SSH tools, long used by UNIX gurus to perform complicated administrative tasks over the internet on machines miles away, are a very simple and user-friendly solution for more conventional purposes. Ubuntu users, read on to learn how to use SSH to run your favorite GNU/Linux software on Microsoft Windows—without installing any software on the Windows box.
samiux.wordpress: I installed Ubuntu 7.10 SE (my remastered Ubuntu) on a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card with a no hard drive desktop computer as usual. My desktop is using mobile rack and it is very easy to remove the hard drive.
iTWire: Ok, not really nothing: it’ll cost you $9.99 for a domain name. But once you’ve got that, here’s how to build a dynamic and high-class online presence with free web hosting and the powerful open source blogging and content management system WordPress.
penguin pete: This isn't really an Earth-shattering technique, but I've lucked out with it enough times to warrant a tutorial. It actually fits with the popular art-school methods for drawing a figure on paper, especially for drawing superhero-type figures.