linux-magazine.com: Icons have always intimidated me. Except for the mouseover help, two-thirds of the time I would have no idea what function they represent. Shrink them so that they fit on a toolbar, and the obscurity is compounded by illegibility.
linuxforu.com: Started in March 2009, Carnation Auto offers car owners a wide array of services. Carnation has grown to 15 hubs across 10 cities, with more than 700 employees —all in a matter of nine months. This accelerated growth wouldn’t have been possible without open source technology.
- What is "open source"? (And why should you care?)
- What Should be Expected of FLOSS Contributors?
- Welcome to the world of open source software
- Why Open Source Makes Sense: Scientifically Proven
- Google demands more openness from the Open Source Initiative
- A Thriving FOSS Community on the North
- An Open Source Principle: One Good Thing Leads To Another
the451group.com: Google’s open source programs manager, Chris DiBona has asked the Open Source Initiative to delay consideration of Google’s WebM license, and in doing so has called on the OSI to be more open.
fsf.org: An iPhone port of GNU Go is currently being distributed through Apple's App Store. However, this distribution is not in compliance with the GNU GPL. The primary problem is that Apple imposes numerous legal restrictions on use and distribution of GNU Go through the iTunes Store Terms of Service, which is forbidden by section 6 of GPLv2.
- Open Source Makes a Difference
- FOSS Community Member Launches Documentation Project for Blind
- LinuxCon Program Announced: This Year’s Themes
- Is Microsoft an open source company?
- Turkey Ministry of Justice and law courts consider open source desktop
- How They Stole the Public Domain
- Five questions about the Open Source way with Jim Gilmore
mdzlog.alcor.net: People who use and promote free software cite various reasons for their choice, but do those reasons tell the whole story? If, as a community, we want free software to continue to grow in popularity, especially in the mainstream, we should understand better the true reasons for choosing it—especially our own.
the451group.com: Open Source Initiative board member, Simon Phipps, declared on Monday that Google’s WebM project “is not currently open source”. It was a statement based on the fact that the license used for WebM is not currently approved by the Open Source Initiative as being compliant with the Open Source Definition.
networkworld.com: It's been said that Oracle is now the industry's most powerful open source vendor, but don't tell that to Red Hat executives, who say Oracle doesn't even qualify as an open source company.
itweb.co.za: It's a good question, I suppose. A tree-hugging leftwinger from a proud union family with an inexplicable taste for expensive Scotch single malts asked to know why, if I'm such a capitalist, I am so vocal about liking free and open source software.