ostatic.com: Are open source developers on the ball about delivering alternatives to cutting-edge proprietary products and services, or do they lag the proprietary innovators? That topic came up at this week's OSCON conference in Portland, and there is a case to be made for the idea that open source developers don't deliver key products in key categories fast enough.
developer.com: If anyone tells you open source can't run a large business or scale, remind them that Facebook is serving a half billion people with a network built on open source code. Quite a bit of it, as Developer.com notes, much of what runs Facebook is open source languages and software.
h-online.com: At the OSCON 2010 open source convention taking place in Portland, Oregon, O'Reilly Media's Edd Dumbill has announced the winners of this years O'Reilly Open Source Awards.
- Linux Outlaws 159 - The Beginning of the Conversation
- KDE and the Masters of the Universe – 2010-07-22
- FLOSS Weekly 128: OpenStack
- The Linux Link Tech Show #363 7/21/10
- TuxRadar: Podcast Season 2 Episode 13
fossbazaar.org: These days I am receiving quite a number of mails that ask the same question: If a FOSS project is sponsored by only one company or entity, do you think it's a healthy project?
toolbox.com/blogs: Some of the best open source software (OSS) around is multiple platform. You can run the exact same software with the same look and feel (I can understand the look part but how do you feel a program? Do a Vulcan mind meld with it?) no matter what operating system you use.
itwriting.com/blog: The issue boils down to this. WordPress is licensed under the GPL, which provides that if you derive a new work from an existing GPL-licensed work, the GPL applies to your new work as well.
- Two Problems with Free
- The Open source legal maze: an open trap?
- Open Source Cornerstones
- Portugal: Nearly all school children getting familiar with open source
- Net Neutrality is a double edged sword
- Is open source ready for business prime time?
- Open-source hardware standards formally issued
- Open Source Hardware (OSHW) Draft Definition version 0.3
sourceforge.net: Today SourceForge is announcing an open beta period for a new set of tools for developers. Specifically, our engineers have begun work on new and better tools for project members who want to use our tracker, wiki, and source code management.