h-online.com: Free software began as a political movement: its central aim was – and remains – the propagation of freedom. Later, free software also became a way of making serious money – something that Stallman has repeatedly said he is quite happy with, contrary to much FUD claiming otherwise.
kmandla.wordpress: I used to get a lot of hate mail — a lot. That was over two years ago. So you can imagine my relative surprise when a rather acerbic blog took offense more than a year after it had been forgotten.
phoronix.com: Over on the GCC mailing list is a rather lively discussion. A developer is asking why you don't participate in contributing to GCC?
law.com: The widespread creation and reuse of open source software by commercial companies has introduced a whole new level of complexity to the legal challenges related to software licenses.
- The future of open source is in the middle
- Cenatic: 'Using open source is key for e-government'
- EU: open standards and interoperable systems for e-government
- How the UK government can follow Obama's open source revolution
- Using version control to manage Intellectual Property
jamesdixon.wordpress: I have stated a few times that the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and its advocates don’t have a vision of the future that I find viable. Twenty years from now, across the globe, every individual, business, organization, and government entity will have FOSS suitable for all their needs.
networkworld.com: IT staff and developers often overlook non-technical considerations that are critical when running open source on a production system.
jeffhoogland.blogspot: I fancy myself to be what some would call a "Free Software Advocate" and as such when I am making recommendations of free software to people I hear many of the same common misconceptions day in and day out.
- Open source training more attractive to workers
- For Openness – and Open Source - We Need Transparency
- Vendor ownership doesn't mean lower open source risk
linux.com: Here are my picks today, though, for hot new OSS projects: