opensource.com: One of the hardest things about trying to bridge two worlds--for instance, open source communities and academic institutions--is all the stuff you don't hear on a daily basis when you're working remotely.
redmonk.com/sogrady: The fear of forking remains rampant in spite of the rise of Git, Mercurial and the other decentralized standard bearers. Perhaps because instantiations of Git and its decentralized brothers, for all of their popularity amongst the developer elite, remain heavily outnumbered by the legacy version control alternatives.
blogs.computerworlduk: Although I don't use it much myself, I've heard that Facebook is quite popular in some quarters. This makes its technological moves important, especially when they impact free software. Yesterday, we had what most have seen as a pretty big announcement from the company that does precisely that:
osswatch.jiscinvolve: What continues to surprise me most about open source software (OSS) development is how the particular mindset OSS embodies has seeped into an incredibly diverse range of discussion that transcends software itself.
linuxinsider.com: "If there's anything federal agencies put a premium on, it's streamlining costs," said Jaspersoft CEO Brian Gentile. "Deploying open source software generally takes less time and fewer resources than proprietary software.
technologyreview.com: The founder of search engine Duck Duck Go just pledged 10 percent of the site's income--will anyone follow suit?
- Windows Legacy Apps vs. Linux Desktop Adopters?
- Avoid the tool trap when building communities
- An Open Source Toolkit for Your Small Business
zdnet.com: It’s really quite clever. Tie Google up in court, sign a deal with Apple to coordinate development of Java, and ignore the open source community.
- Aerodynamic Elephants and Free Software Without Freedom
- It's not Apache vs. Oracle; it's Oracle vs. open source
- Open core licensing is free software’s evil twin
- Geeknet Joins Open Invention Network as Licensee
- Which came first, the customer or the community?
- PyPy Joins the Software Freedom Conservancy
- Open Source Ohio: Bringing FOSS and Business Together
- Linux open source drivers for Xbox Kinect released
crn.in: Linux and open source technologies have started gaining acceptance and momentum with a host of technologies associated with FOSS having reached levels of maturity that are comparable with the best the proprietary software world has to offer.