tuaw.com: After yesterday's surprise announcement of the free upgrade to OS X Mavericks, some Twitter wags and industry pundits assumed that the free OS would be a danger to the continued existence of Linux.
linux.com: Linux creator Linus Torvalds took the stage today at LinuxCon Europe in Edinburgh with Intel’s Chief Linux and Open Source Technologist Dirk Hohndel to discuss the present and future of Linux and answer questions from the community.
techweekeurope.co.uk: The Linux Foundation has adopted Open Virtualization Alliance (OVA) as one of its ‘Collaborative Projects’, to promote the development of the open source hypervisor KVM (kernel-based virtual machine).
linuxinsider.com (blog safari): "Poll Says Too Many Distros" was the title of the piece that broke the news, which has been the topic of more than a few lively conversations since.
networkworld.com: The creator of the popular Linux distro talks candidly about his goals, his successes and his nightmares
softpedia.com: Linus Torvalds posted a very simple and direct message on Google+ addressed to the Fedora people. What followed next involved accusations and various veiled insults.
extremetech.com: Ever since Valve announced its three-tier approach to bringing PC gaming to the living room — Steam OS, the Steam Machine, and the Steam Controller — people have been divided on whether or not it’s a sound idea. John Carmack, a man who changed the face of PC gaming at Id Software, thinks the Steam Machine’s odds of succeeding are “a bit dicey.”
Welcome to this year's 42nd issue of DistroWatch Weekly! This past week news feeds in the Linux ecosystem were flooded with reports of Ubuntu, Ubuntu spins and reviews of Ubuntu in its many flavours. This week we bring you early reports of Ubuntu's 13.10 release and some first impressions.
linux.com: As a first-generation Vietnamese-American, Nam Pho says he learned to make the most of limited resources and opportunities in many facets of his life. When it came to computing, this meant dealing with secondhand hardware. He built his Linux skills through frustrating, but educational, attempts to get old computers up and working again.
- Greed is good: 9 open source secrets to making money
- How the Linux Foundation is helping the auto industry shift to open source
- Samba 4.1 brings Linux desktop and Mac files from Windows
- Senwes Unix to Linux migration
- On Linux Install Fest 2013
- Introducing Kids To Linux Using DoudouLinux
- Have You Tried Parted Magic?
- AbiWord 3.0 Released With Many Changes, GTK3
- Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit…
- Betting on Linux | CR 71
- Install the Latest Version of digiKam on Debian
- Flash in Linux
- KrISS Feed: Self-Hosted RSS Reader
- Apt-Fast: Improve Apt-Get Download Speed
- Fix no screen brightness on boot problem
- BetaPizza Hackaton Results
- Can you trust 'NSA-proof' TrueCrypt?
- 5 Years of KDE Community Forums
- Open codec pioneer leaves Red Hat, joins Mozilla