computerweekly.com: This week sees the start of the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, which also includes the Android Builders Summit. Held from April 6 - 8 in San Francisco, this invitation-only summit is a gathering of core kernel developers and end users.
linuxmint.com: Linux Mint 8 Helena will reach end of life on April 29th, 2011. This release was based on Ubuntu 9.10 which is planned to reach end-of-life at the same date.
pcworld.com: Launched on Saturday, version 5.2.5 of the flagship Lucid Puppy Linux distribution--also known as "Lupu"--improves upon the release from early this year with a raft of updates and new features, making it "the most leading-edge Lucid ever," in the project's own words.
mobilemag.com: The Hercules brand isn’t exactly a household name, but it is better known for the line of speakers than “real” computer equipment. Even so, they’re already onto the next generation of computing with two new eCAFE netbooks.
all-things-linux.blogspot: It seems like the same few blogs review the same distributions, but I've got a good excuse. Fedora 14 KDE finally got the better of me, it felt slow and everything generally took ages to open up, the menu was worse than the old days of Windows fade in menus (remember those?) and I removed it from my drive.
April 2011 (#185):
- Linux based SMB NAS System Performance Optimization
- Activae: towards a free and community-based platform for digital asset management
- HAL: Part 3 Functions
- synCRONicity: A riff on perceived limitations of cron
- Applying Yum Package Updates to Multiple Servers Using Fabric
- Ubuntu, the cloud OS
- Back in the Day: Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 - 4.2, 1996-1997
This week in DistroWatch Weekly:
- Reviews: From Russia with source (Calculate Linux 11.3)
- News: Slackware edges closer to 13.37, Fedora ambassador checks out GNOME 3, Debian ponders goals for 'Wheezy', openSUSE and Pardus offer Xfce 4.8 option, Bodhi interview
- Tips and tricks: Creating bootable USB drives with UNetbootin
- Released last week: openSUSE 11.4 "Edu Li-f-e", Puppy Linux 5.2.5
- Upcoming releases: Mageia 1 beta 1
- New additions: Elementary OS
- New distributions: Tucunaré
Read more in this week's issue of DistroWatch Weekly....
earthweb.com: Like most of you, I can certainly make the adjustment for a day, but I always come away feeling a little stranger from the experience. Guess this happens when you’re bound to a single way of doing things for an extended period of time.
dwasifar.com:So there I was, with a newly borked disk and some unrequited geekery to requite. I happened to also have on hand an installation disc for Pinguy 10.10.1, so I popped it in and installed that instead.
ghabuntu.com: From embeded spaces to mobile phones to desktops and servers, there's not a single one of those except it's being overtaken by the gradual but consistent revolution called Linux. Here's why: