linuxuser.co.uk: Gareth Halfacree takes a look at the final release of Fedora 14, and sees if the Red Hat-based distro has what it takes to conquer the desktop market…
eyeonlinux.com: The release of Ubuntu 10.10 has insured that many derivative distros have also been updated. One of the less known but very useful ones is Pinguy OS 10.10.
earthweb.com: Are menus starting to disappear from the Linux desktop? A survey of the alternatives suggests that, at the very least, menus seem to be evolving out of recognition in response to modern trends, particularly the effort to make workstation and laptop desktops more like mobile interfaces.
- switching from Mandriva to Fedora
- Bye Bye Ubuntu… Hello Debian
- Linux on the Lenovo S10-3s: Scorecard
linuxuser.co.uk: In his latest column Jon Masters covers the new Tile architecture in the 2.6.36 kernel, scalability concerns in the IMA security subsystem, and looks ahead to 2.6.37 development…
techrepublic.com: On November 10th, Red Hat unveiled the latest version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux: version 6. Version 5 was released in March of 2007, so it has been a long road to version 6.
itworld.com We don't know for absolute sure that somewhere in the $2.2 billion acquisition of Novell by Attachmate and the “concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by Microsoft Corporation, for $450 million in cash” that those unidentified IP holding were, in fact, Novell's ownership of UNIX.
Also: Today's Novell Deal Helps Microsoft Continue Linux Fight
linux-mag.com: A new and improved Debian installer awaits for Debian 6.0, but is it better than what’s gone before? We take a tour of Squeeze’s installer beta and find out.
- Reviews: Raiders of the lost OpenBSD
- News: Debian "Squeeze" in last-minute testing, PCLinuxOS to get 64-bit edition, Mandriva switches to RPM 5.x
- Questions and answers: Getting a Linux tablet PC
- Released last week: NetBSD 5.1, Untangle Gateway 8.0
- Upcoming releases: openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 4
- New distributions: Bodhi Linux, CoreBiz, Liberté Linux, Lin2Go, MagOS Linux, RFRemix Linux
- Reader comments
Read more in this week's issue of DistroWatch Weekly....
linuxinsider.com: Well, it's that time of year again here in the land of stars and stripes -- the time when all good geeks turn their thoughts toward all they have to be thankful for.