worldofgnome.org: Gnome Video Arcade is a simple Mame frontend designed to work well under Gnome. It is generally a very simple way to get your roms running in your system without much fuss, but what is Mame and what are the roms you will have to use?
Also: Steam has greenlit more games for Linux
phoronix.com: In the past few days I delivered X.Org vs. XMir Ubuntu Unity benchmarks on Intel hardware and Nouveau / NVIDIA. The benchmarking also found that 2D was also slower with XMir than simply running an X.Org Server. Benchmarks now carried out of X.Org vs. XWayland show that the Wayland-based equivalent is generally faster.
phoronix.com: Xfce 4.12 still hasn't been released yet and it's running months behind schedule. Xfce 4.12 will be a major update to the lightweight desktop that's becoming an increasingly used alternative to Unity and the GNOME Shell.
sgallagh.wordpress: True to my word, I have spent the last twenty-eight days running GNOME 3 Classic. For the most part, I have been very happy with it. Twenty days after my final entry, I have decided to stop using GNOME Classic, but not in favor of
- Make everything in GNOME Shell transparent!
- Half-Life 2 Receives More Improvements on Linux
- Swift: The Easy Scripting Language for Parallel Computing
- AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!
- Scrot: A Command-Line Screenshot Tool
- How to Create a sysfs File Correctly
- How to customize Linux Deepin 12.12
- Install rtl8192cu based Wifi on the Beaglebone Black
- Singletons, shared instances, the modern way
- 2ping – A bi-directional ping utility
- greed: Alluring to some
- FlightGear 2.12 is taking shape
- Find an open source RSS reader today
- Digg Reader Opens in Beta
- 2 Amazing Google Reader Replacements You Haven’t Heard Of
netrunner-mag.com: Cinnamon is a Linux only desktop environment, and it will run happily as long as you have some form of Linux beating under the hood. Technically, it ought to run on any UNIX-like operating system, graced with the X Windows or similar, but for now, the availability is limited.
datamation.com: In any given week, I am likely to use two or three Linux desktop environments. Partly, I switch so often to keep up to date. But the main reason is that, whatever environment I am using, I soon become aware of its shortcomings and start thinking of another's advantages.
mylinuxrig.com: Jorge’s a cool guy. He’s passionate about Ubuntu, Linux, and the user experience. All of that comes through very strongly in his interview.
unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot: Opera deserves plenty of credit for being accessible to Linux users. The Opera download page provides a long list of Linux distributions for downloading the correct software package. In addition, Opera is almost always up-to-date in the Linux repositories.
lwn.net: Lennart Poettering posted a message to the systemd-devel mailing list that outlines some changes coming. It refers to an earlier message that started describing differences coming in the kernel's control group (cgroup) implementation and their effects on systemd.
- Assessing The Current Intel Haswell Linux Experience
- KScreen 1.0 Released For KDE Screen Management
- There's Now An Ubuntu Touch PPA For Unity 8, Mir
- 8-Way Desktop Comparison On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux
techponder.wordpress: The greatest need for improving the manageability of Linux systems is to provide a standard programming interface – an API – for system management functions.
afaikblog.wordpress: Everyone’s favourite UX polish extravaganza is back for another round. For the next months we will be targeting a host of bugs that will add polish and finesse to the GNOME 3 user experience.
- What it Takes to be an Open Source Expert
- LibreOffice 4.1 RC Triage Contest Has Begun
- Setup The Raspberry Pi As A NAS
- Mozilla again postpones Firefox third-party cookie-blocking
- New developer getting started on KDEPIM
- How to take screenshot of the login screen of Linux Mint 15
- Build your own custom modules for Drupal 7, part 2
- NVIDIA Driver Soon Likely To Support EGL, Mir
- Free Software alternatives to help you outwit PRISM
- Is that really the source code for this software?
- Gnome Shell 3.9.3 Release
- The openSUSE TSP application
- BASH Decision Constructs
itwire.com: MariaDB founder Ulf Michael "Monty" Widenius says that Oracle has failed to make a success of MySQL because the company doesn't understand open source. "It's not in their blood."
mariadb.org: It has recently been brought to our attention that the MySQL man pages have been relicensed. The change was made rather silently going from MySQL 5.5.30 to MySQL 5.5.31.
phoronix.com: The D programming language continues to advance and show signs of promise as a high-quality computer programming language that may eventually prove competition for C.
linuxuser.co.uk: Google Reader is on its way out, so what’s the best way to keep your feeds organised client side?
worldofgnome.org: The most significant change Nautilus 3.9.3 brings, is the port of Nautilus Sidebar in GtkPlacesSidebar Widget (Removal of nautilus-places-sidebar.c).