The systems world will shortly be celebrating a major anniversary milestone. UNIX is turning 40 years old! Most of us know the story of how UNIX was born, but what about why? Was it born strictly because its founders wanted to play a computer game on a different platform? And why does UNIX continue to thrive 15 years after an (in)famous Byte Magazine article that asked: Is UNIX dead?
terminally-incoherent.com: Have you noticed how all prominent operating systems seem to bloat with each release? Windows is probably the best example, but even Ubuntu had slowly gained weight and become more of a resource hog over the years.
phoronix.com: With the stable release of FreeBSD 8.0 arriving last week we finally were able to put it up on the test bench and give it a thorough look over with the Phoronix Test Suite. We compared the FreeBSD 8.0 performance between it and the earlier FreeBSD 7.2 release along with Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10 on the Linux side and then the OpenSolaris 2010.02 b127 snapshot on the Sun OS side.
toolbox.com/blogs: The method I like the best for evaluating different operating systems, whether they are different Linux distributions, BSD, MacOS or the latest windows offering, is to use virtual machines.
- Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks
- Chromium OS - Digging deeper into the open source Chrome OS
- 10 Things Missing From Google Chrome OS
pcworld.com: Google co-founder says Chrome and Android could someday become a single OS. Chrome browser plus Android OS equals... Android.
Also: ChromeOS – Google missed a great opportunity
tech.xlab.si: As with anything new coming from Google, there has been a lot of expectation regarding the new Google “operating system” for PCs based on the Chrome browser.
Also: Was Chrome OS a Disappointment?
And: VMware Image of Google Chrome OS
- The Google ChromeOS - Not the Linux messiah
- Chrome OS: Internet failing at PC > PC failing at Internet
- Try Out Google Chrome OS For Yourself
- Microsoft, other rivals slam Google Chrome OS
- Google Chrome OS - do we want another monoculture?
- [Video] ChromeOS Vs Windows Vs Mac Vs Linux – Hilarious
- Google Chrome First Official Screenshots
- OMG! ChromeOS Live Blog
- Official Chromium OS Site
- Releasing the Chromium OS open source project
- Chrome OS: Some Early Preview Videos
- Google Chrome OS Event (and Live webcast)