softpedia.com: The founder of Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth, has announced at UDS that despite the recent decision of Steve Jobs and Apple to move away from the Java environment, Canonical will continue to consider Java a first grade development platform.
This article shows how you can change the appearance of your Ubuntu 10.10 desktop so that it resembles a Mac. This can be achieved with the help of Elementary, Docky, and Gloobus-Preview. Elementary is a project that provides a popular icon set and GTK theme; Docky is an interactive dock (like the one you know from a Mac) that provides easy access to some of the files, folders, and applications on your computer, and more; and Gloobus-Preview is an extension for the Gnome Desktop Environment designed to enable a full screen preview of any kind of file or directory.
mankindisone.wordpress: Ubuntu, the most user-friendly of the Linux distributions; Ubuntu, the harbinger of the day of the Linux desktop to the world; Ubuntu, the crowned king of all distributions; Ubuntu — the Operating System that has now killed my desktop for the third consecutive upgrade in a row. This is ridiculous.
geardiary.com: It’s been a couple of years since I reviewed a laptop from ZaReason, the UltraLap SR. Now I’m reviewing something a bit smaller — the ZaReason Terra HD.
- What's Next for Ubuntu? Ubuntu In Five Years
- Has Ubuntu exceeded the Ben & Jerry's hippie threshold?
- How relevant is Ubuntu?
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M Gaming: Windows 7 Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 10.10
- Ubuntu 10.10 ("Maverick Meerkat") Netbook Edition
- Install and use Ubuntu Unity before it’s released
- Is Unity the Right Interface for Desktop Ubuntu?
- Unity and the Community
- General Disillusionment with Ubuntu
- A Peek Into The X.Org Stack For Ubuntu 11.04
- The United Colours of Ubuntu
- UDS Narwhal – Tuesday
- UDS-N Day 1
- Meet Ian Booth
- This is it!
- 10 things I would like to see in Ubuntu 11.04
- Smackdown: Unity vs GNOME
- More Ubuntu tweaks
This tutorial shows how you can enable Compiz Fusion on an Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) desktop (the system must have a 3D-capable graphics card - I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 8200 here). With Compiz Fusion you can use beautiful 3D effects like wobbly windows or a desktop cube on your desktop.
blogs.gnome.org: At this stage, most people will have heard the news: Ubuntu 11.04 will ship with Unity as the default desktop shell. This raises a few questions: what does this mean for GNOME, and the adoption of GNOME Shell? Will this further affect the relationship between Canonical developers and others?
- Ubuntu Unity Sucks
- There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop
- Ubuntu getting a new icon theme
- Video: UDS Natty 11.04 - Mark Shuttleworth's Keynote