ostatic.com: I've gotten a bit behind the last few days and here are a few items I wanted to report about. Patrick Volkerding says Slackware Current is too current. Will Stephenson is developing a lighter KDE desktop. And Sabayon has implemented systemd.
martin-graesslin.com: Over the last few days I was wondering what is a “lightweight” desktop. And I must say I couldn’t come up with an answer to that question.
- OMG! I’m Using One Hog Of A Window Manager!
- hackweek9: Lightweight KDE Desktop project - updated
- A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops – Part 2, Part 1
- Exploring KDE 4.10
- GNOME 3.8 in a Nutshell [Video]
- A look at GNOME 3.8
- The apps of KDE 4.10 Part I: Rekonq
- The apps of KDE 4.10 Part II: Kontact
- The Luminosity of Free Software, episode 10
- GNOME 3.8.0 for openSUSE 12.3, Get it!
datamation.com: Should you use KDE or GNOME on your Linux desktop? Here's how today's Big Four compare from where I sit. I have awarded points for ranking in each category, with the lowest score being the best:
- KDE 4.10 Applications Get Major Overhaul
- Gnome 3.8 Applications
- Gnome 3.8 Core Utilities
- Think You Saw Unity In Last Night’s Doctor Who?
- Hawaii Desktop Is Now Usable On Wayland/Weston
- GNOME 3.8 Released - See What's New
- KDE Plasma Desktop 4.10 Latest Features
h-online.com: KDE contributor Jeff Mitchell has written a blog post on what he says "almost became The Great KDE Disaster Of 2013" – the project narrowly avoiding the loss of all of its Git repositories.
ostatic.com: After nearly twelve years of using KDE with basically the same ole Kmix, Trever Fischer, Fedora Ambassador and KDE hacker, has today announced that his herculean quest of rewriting Kmix has yielded some results. It's still considered pre-alpha code, but Fischer has posted the code and a screenshot!
- what’s going on in plasma workspaces 2?
- Gaming tip for KDE users
- Migrating to KDE Telepathy
- KDE File Manager, Hamsi Manager 1.2 released