Are you planning to build a Linux HTPC front-end or a stand-alone Linux HTPC, but are you unsure which motherboards would be best suited?
Well look no further, we have put together a list of five great motherboards that in our opinion (based on experience, feedback from other users on forums and many hours of comparing specs and reviews of current motherboards) would all make a solid basis for a great Linux HTPC running XBMC, MythTV (Mythbuntu, LinuxMCE), Freevo or SageTV.
Our selection criteria were the following:
* micro-ATX or mini-ITX form factor
Size usually matters with a HTPC, few people would want a big tower case in their living room, not to mention the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Also most HTPC specific cases are designed for these form factors.
* Nvidia GeForce 8200/8300 or 9300/9400 series on-board GPU
* an on-board HDMI and/or DVI video out port
* an on-board coax or optical S/PDIF audio out port
* silent, fan-less (no chipset fan)
rest here