I've been putting off blogging what's going on with tuxmachines lately because number 1: I don't really know what happened, and number 2: I don't really know what's gonna happen. But here's what I do know.
The Sunday evening of January 25 I lost my internet connection and could not reconnect. I called Bellsouth and they informed me that I had to connect through the modem instead of using any software on my computer. That made it impossible to associate my given static IP with the dynamic IP that is assigned to the dsl modem when it connects. So, when I tried to set my static IP in the modem, it wouldn't connect. Bellsouth told me that you can't do that with a block of IPs like I had, you had to be assigned only one. So, they deleted all my static IPs instead of just the extraneous ones and tuxmachines was screwed until the new IP propagated. However, connectivity was slow and iffy. I couldn't download an ISO, I couldn't surf the web without sites timing out more often than not. And my site was performing very poorly. I had set the modem up to pass all traffic through it without interferrence, but something was wrong. And tech support was uncaring and unhelpful. Basically they wanted my server off their service.
So, I decided to move my site to offsite hosting, get cable internet and phone, and cut bellsouth off entirely. But the host I had chosen didn't appear to be working out - if you recall the later part of last week seeing a placeholder for a day or two then it went down for a day and half?
Well, I signed up for no-ip dynamic IP service and put my home server back online. This is what we are running on right now. However, while this dynamic IP service monitors my computer for changing IP and will adjust its files accordingly very quickly - any time I get a new IP, my site will be down for days for some visitors until their resolving nameservers catch up. Obviously, this is not a permanent solution.
And this is where we are this morning. I was having connectivity issues yesterday morning for no apparent reason. The connection just went down several times. It seems to have stablized for now.
Today, we were offline while the cable guys were messing with stringing up the cable phone and stuff. So, until we get a new IP, we should be okay unless the dead tree hanging by a thread over my cable wire goes down. And with the winds hitting 35 to 40 mph today, this is a real possibility.
I'm in the process of finding out what happened at that host company and am considering some other hosting companies. I'm not sure where we will end up and how it work out. We may have to host hop around some (causing more downtime). But funds are a real issue lately. I'm thinking of starting a donation drive and will speak more on that later. If you'd like to donate now, please click on the Support Tuxmachines link at the right. If money wasn't an issue, I could just go and get a good dedicated machine at a reputable hosting company. As it is is how it is.
I've got to tell you that more than once in the past week I've thought of giving up. The ad revenue earned from this site each month is less than I earn from selling one article and with all the headaches lately...
Anyway, if we go down, just keep checking back. Hopefully, we'll have everything ironed out soon. I'll try to keep you updated.