If you've been alive and aware of mass media over the last twelve months, you've probably seen television commercials from Apple and Microsoft touting their operating system. From Apple's ubiquitous "I'm a Mac" to Jerry Seinfeld to Microsoft's "I'm a PC" retort, operating system commercials have been flooding the airways. Except one OS has been notably absent – Linux.
While the Linux Foundation would love to spend millions promoting Linux on TV, it's simply not our style (or in our budget). Even more importantly, Linux isn't a top-down, commercially controlled operating system. It's a grassroots product of mass collaboration. That's why we're sponsoring a community contest to create a Linux video that showcases just what Linux means to those who use it, and hopefully inspires many to try it.
The winner will receive a free trip to Tokyo, Japan to participate in the Linux Foundation Japan Linux Symposium in October 2009. The winning video will also be unveiled at the Linux Foundation's Collaboration Summit in San Francisco on April 8, 2009.
• Open to anyone over 18 (due to legal and travel restrictions)
• Winner receives airfare/hotel and conference registration for Linux Foundation Japan Symposium in October 2009.
• Contest winner to be decided by a panel of judges picked by the Linux Foundation
• Each video needs to be no longer than 60 seconds in length
• Each video cannot violate our terms of service. (Don't violate others' intellectual property rights, don't post anything offensive, etc.)
• The contest opens Jan 26 and will close at midnight pacific on March 15, 2009. Winners will be showcased at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit.
• The prize: Airfare (from the airport closest to winner's home to Narita, Japan) and accommodations (double occupancy) will be provided for three nights.
• In 60 seconds or less, showcase your take on "I'm Linux." This should be why you love it and should inspire others to use it. The video can be an extensive production, a plain testimonial or as simple as a screen capture with a voice over. Be creative, be authentic and have fun.
• While you may be inspired by the Apple or Microsoft commercials, it's not a requirement to parody or make reference to them.
• Humour is always a good way to showcase your passion (and win a contest), but is not required.
• Judging criteria will be: originality, clarity of message and how much it inspires others to use Linux. The judges will also take into account community votes on the Linux Foundation video site such as number of favourites and starred voting, but that is not the sole criteria for winning.
• Companies or communities can have their own entry but only one individual can win. (This means there can be multiple Ubuntu or OpenSuse entries but the person submitting the winning video gets to go to Japan. You can say who you're representing in the video if it's important to you.)
• Please vote for and comment on your favourites. This is a community contest.
• Enter the contest and vote on this site!
We're formally launching this contest in late January, but you can get started on your entries today. Please upload them here. Email amanda (at) linuxfoundation if you have questions.