The official OLPC blog so innocently says that One Laptop Per Child is "Refocusing our mission" with an email from Nicholas Negroponte that clearly shows that the OLPC organization is really being gutted.
Here's the email highlights and my translations:
1. 50% cut in staff & pay cuts for the remaining staff (Ouch! Who's left then? And can they turn off the lights.)
2. A shift to Middle East, Afghanistan and Northwestern Pakistan (Hello donor funding paid to OLPC, not Quanta!)
3. Sugar to be spun off (Walter, you want it, take it. We've got Microsoft now.)
4. Latin America & Africa to be spun off (You're not buying more laptops, so goodbye.)
5. $0 Laptop for LDC's (we'll give stuff away if you donate it to us first!)
rest here