Opps! Changing teaser/excerpt module changed a few things. And I'm not up to going back for two months of posts to adjust.
Since upgrading from drupal 4.7.x to 5.x I've been using a module called nodeteaser to make customized teasers for the front page(s). In the past I'd always used one called excerpt, but I didn't notice it wasn't available for 5.x until I'd already done the upgrade.
nodeteaser worked, but it had a few drawbacks or "shortcomings" that make the excerpt module preferable. Finally, the author released a version of it for drupal 5.x and I changed back.
When the excerpt module was no longer available, the teasers made with it didn't disappear. However when I disabled the nodeteaser module, all the teasers made with it disappeared. So, the cool teasers I take several minutes to edit and format are gone for the past two months. With that are the front page site disclosures as well.
Which is the main reason for this post. I'm not discontinuing the practice of informing visitors of the site being linked on the front page, nor did I remove the current ones on purpose. They will begin again and continue using the excerpt module as before.