Windows to Ubuntu Transition Guide
Alright, so you have successfully installed Ubuntu Linux, but now what do you do with it? You are in the right place. I am going to get you started with a guide on how to use your new Ubuntu system.
This transition guide is targeted at existing Windows users and will show you how to do program installations, a little system configuration, but primarily highlight some Windows "replacement" programs for common applications you can't live without. This guide's intent is to introduce you to equivalent programs to what you are accustomed to and, hopefully, to cover a good amount of what you might want in a new install.
- Configuring and using Synaptic Package Manager to install applications
- Installing common packages with Automatix
- Essential desktop, office, and Internet applications
- Playing movies and music
- Digital cameras, printing, and burning
- Installing a PHP and MySQL enabled Apache web server
- Development tools
- Installing and configuring a firewall
- Setting up remote desktop connection
- Setting up a streaming music server