Are physical keyboards for mobile devices making a comeback? TCL and BlackBery just launched a new phone with a QWERTY keyboard. A keyboard module for the Moto Z smartphone is generating some buzz. And an Indiegogo campaign for a 7 inch, pocket-sized Windows notebook has raised over $1.7 million (so far).
Now the folks at UK-based Planet Computers want to bring back the idea of a small, clamshell computer. And they’ve partnered with the designer of the classic Psion Series 5 to do it.
- Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2017: Mentors and ideas needed!
- Outreachy- Week 8 & 9 Progress
X.Org Has Been Accepted For The 2017 Google Summer of Code
The X.Org Foundation has been once again accepted as a mentoring organization for this year's Google Summer of Code. Yes, the X.Org involvement in GSoC isn't limited to just the xorg-server but also covers Mesa, Wayland, and other involvements.
In some organizations, faster development is the primary motivation for using Open Source Software (OSS.) For others, cost savings or flexibility is the most important factor.
Last week, we detailed how OSS speeds development. Now let’s explore how open source software reduces development costs.
Huawei Watch 2 hands on: Another chunky Android Wear 2 sports watch
Remember the Huawei Watch? It was one of the best Android Wear watches, with a simple and minimalist dress watch appeal. The Huawei Watch 2 (and Watch 2 Classic) are nothing like it.
The Watch 2 is big, bulky, and plasticky. I was reminded of the LG Watch Sport I recently reviewed. Huawei’s sport watch has similar features, including NFC, GPS, and a heart rate monitor, and a similar big, chunky, sporty look. However, Huawei’s new watch feels a bit lighter and is more ergonomically shaped, and is thus more comfortable to wear than LG’s Watch Sport.
- Getting Started in Android Development: Part 2: Publishing the First App
- How to use your Android device as a mobile hotspot
- Google's RCS to upgrade SMS on Android phones
- Moto and Huawei are replacing the Android keys with a touchpad, and I like it
- Android Wear 2.0 updates will start rolling out in March, according to Fossil
- Fossil plans to launch Android Wear 2.0 for all of its watches in March
- Is It Still A Nokia If It Runs Google's Android? [Ed: What an utterly stupid question (headline) if not clickbait? As if Windows or Symbian OS were a better fit?]
- Productivity the Goal in Microsoft's Arrow Launcher Update for Android [Ed: Microsoft booster Pedro Hernandez (when the site does not return an error as it just did) on Microsoft E.E.E. against Android]
- Sony’s Xperia Touch projector turns any surface into an Android device
- Energy Bar Turns Your Android’s Status Bar Into a Battery Level Indicator