We’re often asked what our essential Ubuntu apps are, but rather than reply in the comments I figured I’d write a list of what are, for us, must-have apps for Ubuntu.
Whether you’re new to Ubuntu or a recent convert from Microsoft Windows, you should find some software to suit you in the list below. Naturally, not all of the apps featured below will be of use to everyone so do Use the comments below to share your best Linux apps.
This list could be doubt he length and still barely scratch the breadth of variety and divergence that exists within the Linux app ecosystem.
Samsung have announced an addition to its Smart Home portfolio, a new Wind-Free air conditioner, to be launched at CES 2017, Las Vegas. The AR9500M air conditioner has Samsung’s Wind-Free™ Cooling technology – resulting in cooler indoors whilst being more energy efficient.
The AR9500M is a wall mounted unit that is able to disperse cold air through 21,000 micro air holes using two modes – “Fast Cooling Mode” and then switching to “Wind-Free™ Cooling Mode”, which is up to 72 percent more efficient than Fast Colling mode.
Thanks to the efforts of The Linux Foundation, the level of interoperability between software-defined storage (SDS) systems should increase substantially in 2017. An OpenSDS project being led by The Linux Foundation now has the support of Dell EMC, which has contributed a software development kit (SDK) that promises to make it simpler to plug any type of storage device into an SDS system.
- With the Demise of Software Patents and Likely Soon Patent Trolls (Based on SCOTUS), Trump Appointments Matter Even More
- Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing: Bilski Blog is Actually AGAINST Alice and Bilski, in Favour of Software Patents
- Free/Open Source Software Under Attack From Software Patents
- Culture of Appeals Against Granted Patents Means Better and Improved Scrutiny, Less Litigation
- After Microsoft’s Notorious Intervention Nokia is Nothing But a Patent Troll Whose Patent Portfolio Needs to be Smashed
- Australia’s Productivity Commission Reiterates Opposition to Software Patents, Shelston IP (Patent Microcosm) Upset
- Crisis Inside the EPO as Elodie Bergot, Unqualified for Her Job, Fails to Maintain Staffing
- Links 26/12/2016: Darktable 2.2.0, HandBrake 1.0.0, Linux 4.10 RC
- Links 24/12/2016: Christmas Tux 2016, LLVM 3.9.1 Released
opensource.com: We round up recent Pi projects for making a weather station, media center, security system, and more fun Pi projects to try.